Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Best New Artist: Crystal Bowersox


Last time I wrote about American Idol (February 25, 2010) I concluded my post by mentioning my two favorite contestants: Crystal Bowersox and Lee DeWyze. Apparently I know something about musical talent because my two favorite contestants are also the two finalists that will be battling it out tonight for the title on the American Idol finale. My point is not to brag but to say that I’m proud of myself for being able to recognize musical talent even though I cannot sing or play an instrument myself (although I really, really wish I could).

Although DeWyze is an incredible singer and musician there is no chance in hell that he is going to beat out Bowersox tonight. Have you heard her renditions of Tracy Chapman’s “Give Me One Reason,” Alanis Morissette’s “Hand In My Pocket” and Kris Kristofferson’s/Janis Joplin’s “Me And Bobby McGee”?! Go download these songs on iTunes right now. Bowersox sings these classics like she went through the heartache that inspired them to be written. And, to top it off, she can play the guitar! Speaking of which have you seen the acoustic she’s been playing? It looks like it’s been on the road with Johnny Cash, The Eagles and Bob Dylan for the last 100 years. And the way Bowersox sings –as if her life depends on it – sounds like she could have been there with them.

I always thought that American Idol was for creating pop stars but Bowersox is no pop star. She’s got dreads in her hair, piercings on her face, used to play music on the streets of Chicago, is a mother and is 24 years old. As much as like Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson, Bowersox does not fit their mold my any means. She is an old soul and, in a room full of egos, has been gracious and kind on every episode I’ve seen this season.

Although the winner tonight may have a bit of thunder stolen by Simon Cowell’s departure, I’m very excited for Bowersox. She will win tonight and she will have an incredible career. There is no one out there right now who has got her talent and humility. Instead of wondering if she can hit a note or if the synthesizers need to be turned up, the people who help make her debut album can breathe easy because there is no question that this girl can sing and play her instrument. Congrats in advance Crystal….you’ve earned it.

2 comments:

  1. So I never watch "Idol," but I youtubed her to see what the deal was. I found a clip where Miley Cirus was coaching her on singing "Me and Bobby McGee," and I wanted to slap Miley in her 86 yr. old smoker-voice sounding face because she has ZERO talent. Anyways, Crystal definitely channeled Miss Joplin with all the soulful heartache of a young mother who used to shower the streets with her acoutics. Hopefully it doesn't become a Kelly Clarkson deal where, instead of a microphone and a stage, it's a bottle of colon cleanse and a stairmaster for half her career and she becomes an idiot stick figure with no soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Idiot stick figure with no soul!!! Such a great line from a great show :) Yeah, Miley Cirus needs to be voted off the island considering she will never be half the talent that Crystal is. Too bad I jinxed our girl...oh well, I predict a hit album very soon!

    ReplyDelete